Friday, October 16, 2009

10/16/2009 4:30 pm update: NQ


  • frustrating way to the end the week...
  • i did exit 1 NQZ09 at 1737.50...i was happy to have let the limit order sit on the books and not adjust it...
  • this trade: +3.12 NQ points/contract, 1 contract closed...
  • however, the exit on the next contract eluded me...and i wonder why i obsess about adjusting my targets, usually attempting to get in or out a bit earlier than planned...the following is a case in point...
  • when the NQ started rallying towards the end of lunch, my second limit order was sitting at 1747.50 (first red line on chart)...the NQ traded as high as 1745.50...
  • around 3 pm, i decided to lower the offer to 1744.50 (second red line on the chart), just in case there was an end of day rally...i went for a quick nap...
  • well there was a rally into the 3:30 pm time pivot, led by the ES (again)...the NQ traded as high as 1744.00 before selling off...i returned to my screens to see my offer still sitting there and the NQ trading at 1741...
  • well, the NQ just closed at 1732.50...
  • if i was sitting at my desk, and saw 1744 print but my 1744.50 order not fill, i would have exited a few minutes later somewhere in the 1743/1742 area...expensive nap...
  • i guess this is what happens sometimes...but by not adjusting my target, and now marking my position to the market, i missed out on about 10 points...very frustrating...this seems more than what i gave up by adjusting my entries and exits over the past week...
  • going to head to the gym to clear my head...
  • i hope everyone had a good week trading...back at it on monday...
  • on a different note, we are getting ready to celebrate our son's birthday this weekend...he will be 3...it is such a fun age...

Disclosure: Long NQZ09.

***remember this is an illustration of what i am trading and my thinking...it is not a recommendation for you or anyone else to buy or sell this or any other security...trade at your own risk ***

No comments:

Post a Comment